So today I will give a brief on some factors that we considered while doing a requirement analysis of the Logging/Auditing feature of the service.
- What to log – error data, auditing data, system problems data for troubleshooting, This list keeps growing
- Log volume - Considering multiple systems in the environment there will be too many log messages.
- Log diversity - logs generated by all look different .So need to standardize the log format across all platforms and systems.
- Bad logs – bad logs are also a major challenge. Log messages which do not have enough information. Need to handle them properly.
- Integrating different logging mechanisms – All applications will be having different ways of error handling and logging. So need to zero-in on the best approach.
- Making sense of logs - Analyzing the logs based severity, system and other details. Use pre-defined standards.
- Managing the logs – Using Console/Reporting tool get users to analyze and make best use of the logs.This list will keep growing. But for a generic service these are some factors which I can remember
In my coming blog’s I will write on different options we had in mind and what all features we included in our implementation.
Happy November J